ScotWays has been known by a few different names across the centuries.
1845 – Association for the Protection of Public Rights of Roadway in and around Edinburgh
Created as an organisation to fight for public rights of way around Edinburgh, this was our first and the longest name we ever had. It only lasted for three years as the Society was quickly dragged into the battle for Glen Tilt in Perthshire.
1848 – Association for the Protection of Public Rights of Roadway in Scotland
Moving our interests to the whole of Scotland to allow us to deal with Glen Tilt meant a change of name was needed to better reflect our national coverage and our new, slightly shorter name, lasted 36 years.
1884 – Scottish Rights of Way & Recreation Society
A route and branch reinvigoration of ScotWays saw our name change to one that was going to be with us for 62 years and would take pride of place on the new signposts that we started installing.
1946 – Scottish Rights of Way Society Ltd
Becoming a company limited by guarantee lead to this name change and although ‘limited’ was part of our name we tended to just be known as the Scottish Rights of Way Society for the next 53 years.
1999 – Scottish Rights of Way & Access Society
With the push to enshrine a general right of access to land in statute law, ScotWays once again reviewed its name and our current incarnation was borne.
And ScotWays? Officially we are still the Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society but known as ScotWays for short. It’s on our logo!
Powered by BetterDocs